Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Workspace

My previous workspaces were severely hampered by lack of desk space and storage areas.

Recently I've been using two separate desks connected together into an L-shape, but neither really gave me what I was looking for. In the last few weeks, I turned  one into a sewing area for my wife, giving me half the room I had before, and then at a computer desk (see link) with limited area for anything else.

Today I decided to do something about that. The original concept was for a couple hollow core doors supported by cabinets (kitchen or filing), but while the doors are pretty cheap, cabinets of any kind are cheap only in construction quality.

Plus, I have a number of storage units that I can use as a basis for a new workstation, so I'm going to try that.

One recommendation I received at the ole' Home Depot was to use birch plywood instead, as it would give more support than a door, though I'd need to spend more time finishing it. It was also cheaper.

Instead of buying a whole sheet and cutting it to the sizes I was looking for (ideally 3x6'), I got a couple 2x4' sections that I'm going to put together into an L-shape. Total cost for those: $37 for 3/4" sections, which isn't bad for a good hard plywood.

Also, a couple large storage boxes to use as a kind of hutch for modeling supplies.




No comments: