Saturday, January 7, 2012

Springfield Cafe

This is the latest. My first wooden kit, and first "LaserKit" by American Model Builders Inc, it was quite a challenge. Each of the windows is three individual pieces, and I learned to ignore the directions in a couple critical areas.

After my first window, I learned that instead of assembling them as a unit and then installing the unit in the window opening, it worked out better for me personally to put the middle piece in the opening, and add the inside and outside pieces to that. Otherwise, even the slightest misalignment in any one of the three pieces could cause the whole assembly to not fit in the window.

The window on the far right side is the middle piece of this window assembly.
If I had the kit to do again, I also would have installed all the windows on their respective walls before assembling the walls, again a big difference from the instructions given. I'd also look for paint that works better on very thin pieces of balsa, as painting each of the window pieces with a standard artist acrylic (as I have done for every plastic based kit I've done) turned the once rigid wood into something that resembled rubber, and very hard to work with.

After taking a few pictures, I noted some areas that needed touching-up, in case you notice some paint differences from one picture to another. I'm of course going to use the after shots for eBay!

 




This is one of the things I fixed - note the gap in the right hand corner. I filled that with paint!

Same with this side.



No comments: