Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hotel Part 2

Taking another go at the hotel. I've decided to try a little interior lighting in this one, so I created some compartments upstairs, both so that I can model a room through a window, but also to minimize some of the light leakage into subsequent areas of the model.

I've also figured out how to scan the model and print it 1:1 so that I can add window dressing using the scanned image as a template for size and shape. I blacked-out the white areas, as you can see below, but I think I may go back and cut those out completely, leaving the window partially "open" so that during the day, all you see is the (painted black) interior, and at night when it's lit up, you see a tiny bit of light coming out from both the curtains and the window. We'll see what happens as I go to install them.



One thing I've noted about working with anything pulp based (balsa, cardboard, cardstock, anything paper) is that if you want a flat surface, once you start painting one side, you kind of have to paint the other, or it will warp horribly. Painting both sides warps both sides so that they come-out flat. Meh. 

No comments: