Sunday, January 29, 2012

Windows

Purchased a tube of Testors Clear Parts Cement. Dries clear, but not completely flat like the original window. With curtains behind the "glass", you can't see it, but if you're looking for it on a bare window, you can. From a distance of more than a few inches, it's not a problem, and its much better than the glazing caused by super-glue.

It dries slower than white glue, surprisingly enough, but again while white glue dries white, this glue, while white-ish, dries clear.

See the difference between top and bottom?
After the Testors dries, I apply window treatments with the white glue, as it can be applied very thinly and doesn't soak through the paper. Plus, when it's spread very thinly, white glue dries just as fast as super-glue (which means you don't have a lot of time to correctly position a curtain in a window before it stays there).

Recycled School Material = New N Scale Windows
I ran-out of clear styrene the other day, but this morning, I found a more than suitable replacement. In fact, I think I like it better: cheap report covers. I have a few left-over from college, and one had been just sitting off to the side of my work-space, when I noticed the clear plastic cover. It's thinner than clear styrene, more easily glued, and more flexible, which came in handy when adding windows to the turret cupola on one of the buildings (I just made it into a tube and inserted it inside). Many times thinner than the styrene, it just about fades out of sight inside the building, meaning that I could easily wallpaper over the window without an appreciable bump if I so chose. Hmm.

No comments: